> Challenge date
14 - 30 August 2021
> K2 base camp trek 2021 and Gondogoro la trek (Optional)
The K2 Base Camp Trek is one of the finest treks in the world, unbeatable in terms of close-up mountain views and proximity to many of the world’s highest peaks. The trekkers will experience, rugged glaciers as they head up to Concordia where the Baltoro and the Godwin-Austen glaciers converge into a beautiful site showing simplicity of ice and rock. The trekkers will have an opportunity to absorb the unique atmosphere and environment surrounding this unforgettable mountain. Conditions permitting, we will return via the spectacular Gondogoro La (altitude: 5,500m / 18,045 ft), a dramatic high col that affords further stunning views of not only the Gasherbrum peaks but also Broad Peak, K2 and the Muztagh Tower. The return to civilisation is down the Hushe valley, passing the extremely photogenic and arrow-like Leila Peak.
> Do I need to be an experienced mountain climber to join the Trek?
The K2 Base Camp Trek is a legendary trek, suitable for ‘munro baggers’ who are used to or willing to walking in winter conditions. You need to be physically fit and strong for multi-day hiking in a low oxygen environment. The K2 base camp itself is well within the reach of most people who enjoy a good standard of hiking fitness. However, training specifically for the trek is essential to prepare you for the particular pitfalls posed by mountain walking. You are strongly advised to seek medical advice before deciding to arrange your trek and before starting a training program, particularly if you have any concerns about your health. It is sensible to start training as early as possible before your scheduled trek. Conventional exercise routines which build strength, fitness and endurance, such as aerobics and light weight training can be beneficial, particularly if your fitness level is less than desirable. But the best physical preparation is activity which simulates, as far as possible, the demands on your body which will be happening during your ascent to and descent from the K2 base camp.
Hiking up and down hills with a weighted backpack is the key to success and doing this once a week building up to carrying 12kg/25lbs would be advisable along with a daily stair master and incline treadmill session is also very important for a successful training programme. So, if you have the passion for trekking and can walk for 8 to 10 hours in the wilderness and you love mountains, camping and adventures then this is the right challenge for you to sign up to! This will truly be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and what will make it extra special is the children that you will be able to support as part of your fundraising efforts.
> About The Cause
We will be raising funds collectively towards a school build proposal which will provide quality education to 240 underprivileged children, including orphans in a safe and supportive environment through the construction of an infrastructure with education facilities for different faculties , space for physical facilities, curriculum, discipline and extracurricular activities. This will allow the children to build individual social, emotional and an educational base which will help them to have social and professional choices in future challenges and opportunities. It will also impart poverty relief to the families of the beneficiary children by relieving them of the responsibility of their children’s educational expenses in terms of development needs of the school. This will ensure a generation of children to have access to quality education at a primary level.
READ Foundation (RF) requests a one-off grant assistance of £124,995 (GBP) which is required for the new school building in Chirala, Bagh District in AJK, Pakistan. (RF) will arrange funds for recurring and operating needs of the schools through community participation. The staff salary, facility maintenance and utility expenses of the school shall be met by charging appropriate tuition fees from the affording students. Orphan students will receive quality education free of charge. The educational costs of the orphan students and those receiving subsidised education shall be met through one on one and organisational sponsorships. READ Foundation has successfully been running its schools programme on the same model since 1994 . Please clink on the link below the bottom of the page that contains a video of the current condition of Chirala School.
> Key information
• Fundraising target of £3000 must be completed by the 14/07/21 deadline - for our new school building in Chirala, Kashmir.
> What's included in the Registration Fee of £150
• All domestic flights and road transfers including airport transfers
• All hotel accommodation in Pakistan (twin sharing rooms)
• All trekking accommodation in Pakistan (twin sharing dome tents)
• All camping site fees and bridge fees
• All trekking logistics (all tents, non-personal equipment and tools etc.)
• Generator facilities at trekking sites
• Oxygen equipment for emergency use
• All meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) and beverages/water during meals
• Snacks including dry fruits and tea/coffee during the trek
• Free refills of boiled drinking water on the trek
• Licensed professional guides (government requirement)
• Government trekking permit fees and paperwork
• Support staff (cook, assistant(s) etc)
• Porter for personal luggage (12kgs) • First aid medicine kit (basic)
• Satellite phone for emergencies • Trekking map and trip achievement certificate
> What’s NOT included
• Personal travel insurance (you are strongly advised to take out your own)
• Visa to Pakistan (Supporting documents will be provided)
• International airfare return flights
• Personal equipment (e.g. sleeping bags, trekking shoes, down jacket, walking sticks etc)
• Personal mountain equipment (crampon, mountaineering boot, ice axe, harness, two carabineers headlights, helmet etc)
• Extra nights in Islamabad (hotel check in/out is 12pm)
• Tips/gratuities for guides, porters, staff etc
• Miscellaneous (bottled water, phone calls, laundry, souvenir etc)
• Any unforeseen expenses ( like roadblock, extra hotel stays) etc.
• Insurance liability and other under force majeure conditions, medical aid and helicopter rescue coverage of members etc.
Please click here for our brochure that will provide more details of the Itinerary, recommended list of equipment, fundraising ideas , FAQS and videos.